Landscape designing can be a complicated and tricky part. It is crucial to assess your landscape and plan accordingly before designing your landscape in order to avoid major renovations and changes at a later date. Creating a plan would also help to utilize your landscape better. We suggest you search “landscape companies near me” online to find a list of reputed landscape companies near your region who can help you.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips you can follow to assess your landscape:
- Assess the basic features of the landscape – It is recommended that you start by conducting an assessment of the most basic features of the landscape. These include analyzing and documenting the landscape conditions in order to figure out the areas of limitations and opportunities.
These include key elements such as the location of the house in relation to the sewer or water lines, power lines, septic tank, the slope of the terrain and drainage, driveway, parking area, sidewalk, easements, pre-existing shrubs and trees, and more.
- Consider the microclimate around the property – One of the key elements to figure out is to properly nail the microclimate around your property. Typically, this would depend on the regional climate, the soil type, the amount and length of sun and shade exposure, and the topography of your site.
Generally, the microclimate of a property can be classified into four categories: deep shade, shade, partial shade, and full sun. You can refer to the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map to learn about the typical climate of your region and then proceed to determine the microclimate.It would allow you to select suitable plants for your landscape that would thrive in it.
- Test the soil types and pH – Testing the soil type and pH of your landscape is a necessary step since it would enable you to determine the best types of plants that are suitable for growing in your landscape and avoid wasting money on the ones that would die, require extra care, or result in poor growth.
Alternatively, you can choose to grow adaptable and sturdy plants that are suitable for growing in a variety of soil conditions.
- Consider how the landscape would be used – One of the major reasons why many people have to do big landscape renovations is the miscalculation of how the landscape would be used. Thus, it is important to determine who will use the landscape and how it would be used.
For instance, you have to consider elements such as:
- How many family members would be there including children and older relatives?
- Are there any pets?
- How do you plan to use the yard for outdoor entertainment activities?
- How many hours on average monthly would you like to devote to gardening, outdoor recreational activities, landscape maintenance, and more?
- How often do you entertain guests?
- Do you have different sections for relaxing, exercising, storing outdoor gear, and furniture?
- Do you need to accommodate vehicles and is there enough room for parking?
- How many entry points are there, and which would be the main entry point?
- How would you optimize the pathways for allowing people to get in and out of the yard including when using bikes and vehicles?
- Would you like to grow your own fruits, herbs, and vegetables, for your daily household needs? If so, does your property have enough space?
Once you figure out all these important details, it can become easier to customize the decor and functionality of the landscape to suit your needs and requirements.
- Determine the privacy and security requirements – The privacy and security requirements of a landscape can vary depending on your needs, the structure of your property, and the neighborhood you live in. However, it should meet the minimum necessary threshold to make you feel safe and secure.
Thus, you have to consider how to choose the fencing options around your property. For instance, you can choose the type of fence, and the height, and even consider other important elements such as lighting and motion detection.
- Consider the view of the landscape from within the house – Most people miss this step, but it is also important to assess the view of the landscape from within the house. If your landscape looks beautiful on the outside but you miss out on the natural or carefully crafted beauty when you view it from inside your bedroom window, kitchen window, the living room windows, and more, it can become a tragedy.
Thus, ensure that the important sections of attractions of the landscape design can be viewed without any hindrance from inside the house or at least from the areas where you spend the most time in.
- Think on a theme – Selecting a theme would allow you to unify the landscape design structures, hardscapes, decorations, plant and material selection, and their usage. Typically, it is recommended that you try to match the theme of your landscape with the architectural design of your house.
For instance, you can complement the house design by maintaining a consistent design pattern or shape such as specific geometric shapes and structures. Or you can choose to create a relaxing vibe and imbue the yard with a more natural feel.
- Consider the usage of the plants – You can choose specific plants and plant them intelligently to define the boundaries of your landscape. Or you can simply grow them to enjoy fresh and delicious fruits, vegetables, and even delightful aromas and beautiful scenery.
If you want to create physical barriers using your plants but don’t want to block the view you can choose low-growing plants. Ultimately, the type of plants that would be suitable for your landscape would also depend on a number of factors including the light levels, temperature, wind, and water drainage of your property.
Assessing your landscape will allow you to learn about its strengths and weaknesses before you get started with the project. As a result, you would be able to customize your landscape design to match the benefits it can provide and avoid shortcomings. Having a landscape professional guiding you from the start can be a huge help. Thus, we recommend you get in touch with a good landscape artist by searching “landscape companies near me” online.